HybridEdge is a standalone Java application built around Apache Camel that provides a standards-based way of connecting Solace PubSub+ message brokers running in Public Cloud, Private Cloud, or enterprise data centers with other legacy messaging systems such as ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, IBM MQ and Kafka.
HybridEdge is set up with a configuration file that is read on start-up. Within the file one or more Camel routes are defined between Solace PubSub+ and the Legacy environments. Each Camel route is a unidirectional flow (from either Legacy to Solace PubSub+, or Solace PubSub+ to Legacy), and is comprised of:
- The input queue / topic.
- An optional Processor component that you supply (which can implement business logic such as message transformation).
- The output queue / topic.
HybridEdge has a pluggable architecture based on Spring Boot that contains the dependencies required to connect to Solace PubSub+ where you are able to:
- Supply JMS APIs for your legacy systems.
- Use any Camel component to send or receive messages to the Solace JMS Camel Component.
- Optionally add your own Processor code to perform message transformation or other business functions on messages crossing the bridge.
- Optionally add additional Camel components to other services (e.g. file readers, database connectors).
In the next sections we'll introduce three typical use-cases for HybridEdge. The use of HybridEdge isn't limited to these situations, they merely illustrate common applications.
- Legacy Connectivity to Solace PubSub+ Cloud
- Connectivity to On-Prem Legacy Services
- On-Prem Data Exchange with Legacy Systems
You may be in a situation where you have deployed some new, cloud-based services to Solace PubSub+ Cloud, but still require data from a legacy service running on premise - for example, from RabbitMQ.
Solace HybridEdge can be deployed to allow consumption from the legacy system through publication to Solace PubSub+ Cloud. Messages published from the legacy system will be brokered through HybridEdge and published to Solace PubSub+ Cloud.
In this situation you have deployed a cloud-based Solace PubSub+ software message broker to establish operation of new, cloud-based services.
Legacy services - for example, ActiveMQ - running in your on premise data center may require data from Solace PubSub+. Solace HybridEdge can be deployed to consume from the Solace PubSub+ software message broker and publish to the legacy system.
In this situation you have deployed a Solace PubSub+ appliance or Solace PubSub+ software message broker in your on premise data center and some data that enters the system via Solace PubSub+ is needed across legacy applications - perhaps the data is stored in a DB2 database.
Solace HybridEdge can be deployed to insert messages published to Solace PubSub+ into DB2 by SQL query.