PubSub+ Broker Manager Sessions
When you log in to PubSub+ Broker Manager, the event broker creates a session that is represented by a session token. This token is used instead of your login credentials to authenticate your subsequent actions. Your credentials are not cached in the broker, and generally your session remains valid as long as you are performing actions on the broker, your user credentials have not changed, and the broker remains operational. Your session ends if:
- you log out of PubSub+ Broker Manager
- the session times out due to inactivity
- the session reaches its maximum lifetime
- your user credentials are altered on the broker (either by the you or by an admin). This includes password updates, username changes, and user deletion. It does not include access level changes. If the user credentials change, the event broker deletes all sessions for that user.
- the broker's
auth-typeconfiguration changes (for example, from Radius to LDAP, or from one LDAP profile to another). If the
auth-typeconfiguration changes, the event broker deletes all sessions.
- an admin user deletes your session(s) via SEMPv2 or the CLI
- the broker restarts
When the session terminates for any reason, the associated token immediately becomes invalid and cannot be used again. You must log in again to create a new session token.
For information about configuring sessions with the CLI, see Managing SEMP Sessions.
To see how sessions are used with the SEMP v2 API, see SEMP Authentication and Security.
Viewing and Managing Sessions
To see the list of sessions:
- Log in as an administrator.
- From the System menu, select User Mgmt.
- Select the Sessions tab. The sessions are listed.
To delete a session (requires administrative permissions):
- Select a session from the list.
- Click Action, then click Delete.
Configuring Session Timeouts
You can configure two types of timeouts for sessions:
- Idle Timeout
- The session idle timeout, in minutes. Sessions will be invalidated if there is no activity in this period of time. The default value is 15 minutes.
- Maximum Lifetime
- The maximum lifetime of a session, in minutes. Sessions will be invalidated after this period of time, regardless of activity. The default value is 43200 minutes (equivalent to 30 days).
To set the timeout values in PubSub+ Broker Manager, do the following:
- Log in as an administrator.
- From the System menu, select Service.
- On the Service Configuration page, select the Settings tab, then click Edit.
- Scroll down to the SEMP section, and adjust the values of the Session Idle Timeout and Session Maximum Lifetime fields as required.
- Click Apply.
Available Sessions on the Event Broker
There are a limited number of sessions available on the event broker. The number of available sessions depends on the broker type, as follows:
- appliance: 2,000 sessions
- software event broker with 100 client connections: 50 sessions
- software event broker with 1000 or more client connections: 150 sessions