Trying Out Your Event Broker Service
If you haven't already done so, start by Creating Your First Event Broker Service. Assuming that you have now created an event broker service, this getting started tutorial will walk you through trying your new event broker service. You will try out the messaging service by connecting a publisher and a subscriber, subscribing to a topic, and publishing a matching message.
The goal of this tutorial is to demonstrate the most basic messaging interaction using Solace messaging. This tutorial will show you:
- How to connect a publisher and a subscriber.
- How to subscribe to a topic.
- How to publish a matching message.
Step 1: Go to Try Me! Tab
To access the Try Me! tab:
From the left-hand menu, click Cluster Manager.
Click your event broker service. Theevent broker service details are displayed.
On the service details page, click the Try Me! tab.
The Try Me! page is displayed. It is divided into the following sections.
- Donut charts at the top that represent your event broker service's metrics such as network usage, guaranteed messaging endpoints, and the number of active connections.
- Two CodePen projects: Publisher and Subscriber.
Step 2: Connect the Publisher and Subscriber
To connect the publisher and subscriber, do the following:
- In the Publisher CodePen, click Connect.
In the Subscriber Codepen, click Connect.
- Check that beside the Establish connection text, the previously red link icon changes to a green, which indicates that the Publisher and Subscriber CodePen applications are correctly connected. If not, click show advanced settings to change the credentials that you connect with. The credentials are found in the Connect tab for the event broker service, and can be used for connecting your other applications.
Step 3: Subscribe to a Topic
In the Subscriber CodePen, under step 2, click Subscribe to subscribe to the try-me topic. After you click the button, the subscribed topic appears. You can also try other topics if you like. See Topic Support & Syntax to learn more about topics.
Step 4: Publish a Matching Message
In the Publisher CodePen, under step 2, publish a message with try-me as the topic name.
You should see that the message has been sent from the Publisher and received by the Subscriber.
Step 6: Learn More
You have now exchanged a message between a publisher and a subscriber. Want to learn more?