Solace Element Management Protocol version 2 (SEMP v2) is a RESTful API that you can use to configure Solace PubSub+ event brokers. It complements Solace's CLI and SolAdmin, and provides a programmable way to configure Solace PubSub+ event brokers.
The SEMP API allows you to handle messaging as a service and makes it easy for you to provision, operate, and maintain Solace messaging wherever your applications need it, whether that is in the public cloud, your private cloud, or simply in your data center.
SEMP is designed to integrate easily into your DevOps workflow and enable teams to roll out their messaging as they roll out their applications. It can be easily integrated into configuration management portals or with configuration automation tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible, and others.
You can learn more about SEMP from these resources:
- Get Started with SEMP—These tutorials walk you through how to execute a few SEMP commands natively in HTTP, and through an auto-generated client library.
- SEMP API Versions—Provides an overview of the latest versions of the SEMP API, its supported and unsupported features, and the approach taken to ensure version compatibility as new features are introduced.
- SEMP API Architecture—Explains the service-oriented, RESTful architecture of the SEMP API.
- SEMP API Protocol Design—Provides developers with important HTTP wireline information for the SEMP API.
- SEMP Error Handling—Lists common error codes and how to handle them.
- SEMP API Reference—Developer API documentation that covers SEMPʼs REST resources.
- Legacy SEMP—Information on how to use the legacy SEMP API that existed prior to SEMP v2.
SEMP v2 Limitations
The SEMP v2 API is being released iteratively with an initial focus on enabling Message VPN configuration on Solace PubSub+ event brokers. With each release, more commands and functionality are added. Refer to the spec files to see what is currently supported. Instructions for spec file access are presented on the page SEMP API Reference.
For commands and operations not yet supported in SEMP v2, use the legacy SEMP API.
These tutorials will introduce you to the basics of configuring Solace PubSub+ event brokers with SEMP v2. There are two ways you can get started:
- If your company has Solace PubSub+ event brokers deployed, contact your middleware team to obtain the hostname or IP address of an event broker to test against, a username and password to access it, and a Message VPN in which you can produce and consume messages.
- If you do not have access to a Solace PubSub+ event broker, you will need to go through a Editions of PubSub+ Event Broker: Software tutorial to download and install the software.