If you are interested in using Solace PubSub+ Standard, the recommended method to get an instance up-and-running is to use the 1-Click Launch wizard provided at the Solace PubSub+ Standard Edition page in the AWS Marketplace. This page will walk you through the use of the Solace PubSub+ Standard 1-Click Launch wizard.
- Before you begin
- Step 1: Start an Instance with 1-Click Launch Wizard
- Step 2: Update Instance Settings
- Step 3: Access the Solace CLI
- Next Steps
If you'd like more control over your message broker configuration, you can manually deploy it using either the Manual Launch wizard that's also available at the Solace PubSub+ Standard Edition page or the steps presented at AWS Manual Set Up.
It's assumed you have:
- an AWS account.
- created an EC2 key pair.
We'll begin by going to the Solace PubSub+ Standard Edition page in the AWS Marketplace. From there you can access the 1-Click Launch wizard that allows you to deploy a Solace PubSub+ Standard instance on EC2.
- Upon selecting the above link you will be taken to the overview page where you can review the message broker's features as well as pricing and usage information.
- Select the Continue to Subscribe button to go to the Solace PubSub+ Standard 1-Click Launch page.
- Review the following settings and modify if necessary:
- EC2 Instance Type
- VPC Settings
- Security Group
- Key Pair
The default values will configure a full-featured, production deployable message broker instance based on the most recent version of Solace PubSub+ Standard.
- Select the Launch with 1-click button to deploy the message broker instance on EC2.
Once the message broker instance is up-and-running you can modify some instance settings prior to use.
- Under the instance's Tags tab you can assign a name or other suitable tags.
- The default Security Group has a single inbound rule for port 22 that allows you to SSH into the host. By selecting the Security Group's name in the instance's Description tab you can add rules to allow the operation of whatever message broker services you require. A list of the default service ports can be found on the Software Message Broker Configuration Defaults page. For example, to use the PubSub+ Manager for configuration and management tasks, access to port 8080 is required.
You can access the Solace CLI from the host environment. This is done through the Solace Control Utility by using the
solacectl cli command. When you first access the Solace CLI, you should set a password for the admin user, which has access to all CLI commands and will allow you to configure and monitor the message broker via the PubSub+ Manager..
To access the Solace CLI, SSH into the host and then follow the steps below.
Tip: If you're having difficulty with SSHing, some useful instructions can be found here, and also be aware that the default username is
- To enter the Solace CLI from the host, enter this command.
[sysadmin@solace ~]$ solacectl cli
A CLI banner and prompt will appear.
>prompt, you are at the User EXEC level of the Solace CLI command structure.
- Within the Solace CLI, enter the following commands to create an admin user named
solace(configure)# create username admin password <password>
solace(configure/username)# global-access-level admin
- For information on how to get started with Solace CLI, refer to Solace CLI.
You now have a Solace PubSub+ software message broker instance with a basic configuration. To get yourself going, you can access either the Solace management tools PubSub+ Manager, Solace CLI, SolAdmin to start issuing configuration or monitoring commands. Please note that to use either the PubSub+ Manager or SolAdmin you need to have added message broker service port 8080 to your Security Group.
To access the Solace PubSub+ Manager:
- Open a browser and enter http://<your-message-broker's-public-ip-address>:8080.
- Log in as the admin user you created in Step 3.
There are additional configuration tasks you can make use of in the following topics:
- Scaling Tiers for Software Message Brokers — Learn about connection scaling tiers available for Solace PubSub+ software message broker.
- Topics Unique to Software Message Brokers — Review the extra configuration tasks specific to Solace PubSub+ software message broker images.
Also, in order to fully utilize the messaging features, you should familiarize yourself with message broker configuration operations common to both software message brokers and appliances. For information, see the topics in the Configuration section.